Emily Taylor's Verona fabric collection is the perfect fabric choice for a stylish Kindle Clutch!
This simple zippered pouch is easy enough for a beginner to make.
NOTE: The following measurements are for a 1st generation Kindle. Measure your device and add 1.5" to create a snug clutch.
- 2 pieces of outer fabric and 2 pieces of liner fabric cut 6.25" x 8.25" each
- 2 pieces of strap fabric cut 11.5" x 2.5" each
- 2 pieces of quilt batting cut 6.25" x 8.25" each
- 1 zipper at least 9" long
1. To make the strap, fold fabric in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press. Unfold and fold each raw edge in to center line that was just created and press again. Fold in half with raw edges in center and press closed.
2. Stitch close to the edge along each long side of strap.
3. Place outer fabric wrong side down on quilt batting.
4. Mark quilting lines with your favorite marking tool. I used tailors chalk. I made my lines approximately 1" apart.
5. Stitch along marked lines.
6. Repeat with other outer piece.
7. Adding the zipper part 1: Line up your pieces at the top edges and pin in the following order:
- Outer piece face up
- Zipper with teeth face down, slider to left
- Lining piece face down
8. Sew, using your machine's zipper foot.
9. Press fabric away from zipper and top stitch close to edge.
10. Adding the zipper part 2: Line up your pieces at the top edges and pin in the following order:
- Remaining outer piece, face up
- Zipper with teeth face down and slider to right
- Remaining lining piece, face down
11. Sew together using your machine's zipper foot.
12. Press fabric away from zipper and topstitch close to edge.
13. Check your work. Are the pieces in the right order? Does the zipper move without getting caught?
14. Open the zipper a little more than half way.
15. Arrange pieces in the following way and pin:
- Outer pieces right sides together with the strap in between the two pieces
- The strap should be folded in half (like a loop) with the folded side towards the middle and raw edges lined up along the edge of the outer pieces
- Place the strap about an inch below the zipper
- Lining pieces right sides together
- Leave a 3" opening at bottom of the lining pieces for turning
- Trim the zipper to approximately same size as clutch, if needed, at this time
16. Stitch around the outside edge of the entire clutch, leaving a 3" opening at the bottom of the lining pieces.
17. Turn the clutch right side out by pulling through the 3" opening and open zipper.
18. Use a tool to push out corners.
19. Sew closed the opening in the lining by turning the seam allowance under and top stitching.
20. Push lining back into clutch and enjoy your handiwork!